Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A Day in My Life

Phillip, who's almost 4, talks all day, every day and questions everything! I thought I would give you a little glimpse into my life. Here's the background...It's lunchtime today. I normally give the boys their vegetables first so they can be eating them while I'm fixing their sandwiches. I give Andrew his in a little suction cup bowl because it's easier for him to eat them this way. Phillip gets his on his plate. They have to have eaten at least half of the vegetable (today, it was peas) before they get some PB & J (because this is the most coveted part of lunch, by far).

So, the conversation goes something like this -

Phillip: "Where's Andrew's bowl?"
Me: "I took it."
P: "You took it?"
M: "Yes, I took it off his tray."
P: "You took it off his tray?!?" (Totally incredulous, like I told him we were flying to the moon.)
M: "Yes, he finished his peas so I took his bowl off his tray so he wouldn't play with it."
P: "Oh." Slight pause "Andrew finished his peas?"
M: "Yes, he finished his peas."
P: "He finished his peas like a good boy?"
M: "Yes, he finished his peas like a good boy."
P: "I'm not a good boy?" (All sad like his dog just died!)
M: "Yes, you are a good boy, but have you finished your peas?"
P: "No."
M: "Well, eat up."

And on and on and on. That child can turn any sentence or even a thought into a question. And the questions just keep coming, once one topic is exhausted (about 3 questions past when it should be), he just moved on to the next one. I just keep chanting to myself, "he's learning, he's supposed to be curious, it would be bad if he wasn't talking"
See ya later alligator...

3 comments:

Susan said...

I'm so glad to know that those conversations happen in houses other than just ours! That whole talking thing is a blessing and a curse isn't it!

Marin said...

I LOVE this post. Paul & I were just saying the other day that Liam is already doing funny things each day; we're in for it when he starts to talk! My friend includes the funniest things the kids said each year in her Christmas letter. Makes for funny reading. We have to make sure to write down all these funny anecdotes!

Jen said...

Susan & Marin-
It's a huge blessing, but also really a curse! Everyone told me that I didn't want him to start talking because he would never stop and they were right!

I started blogging specifically for this reason. Phillip says some of the most hilarious things, but I totally forget what he said an hour later. No one else (including Chris), gets to laugh about it and I just didn't think that was right. A friend of mine sends monthly e-mails of all the funny things her kids say. They're great. But, I'm not on top of things enough to remember to write them down. But, my laptop is always right there and I can just post it for everyone to read. Plus, I think it will be funny to look back at this with Phillip when he gets older and laugh about what he said. Thanks guys for all your great comments.